Wise care for your wisdom teeth.
When wisdom teeth only partially erupt, they leave an opening for bacteria to enter around the tooth and cause infection. Pain, swelling, jaw stiffness and damage to adjacent teeth can result. Fully or partially erupted wisdom teeth are handled by Van Buskirk & Krischke DDS, LLC. Un-erupted or impacted wisdom teeth are examined by way of panographic imaging and the patient is referred with their x-ray to the appropriate specialist in their area.
Care Following Tooth Removal
- Do Not – Smoke, spit, rinse your mouth vigorously, or drink through a straw for 24 hours. These activities create a suction in your mouth, which could dislodge the clot and delay healing.
- Relax – For the rest of the day. No heavy lifting or strenuous activities, these could cause heavy bleeding.
- Foods – Eat a softer diet for the first 24-48 hours. Be careful while you are numb, nothing hot to eat or drink. DO NOT eat foods with small particles such as popcorn, nuts and seeds.
- Rinse – After the first 24 hours, you can start rinsing your mouth gently with warm salt water (1 tsp. salt to 1 cup warm water). Continue rinsing for a week after meals, in the morning and in the evening before bed time.
- Bleeding – Some bleeding is normal and can occur throughout the night. Sleep with your head slightly elevated. If bleeding does occur, fold gauze and bite down covering the wound with pressure for about 20 minutes. If bleeding persists, wet a tea bag and wrap in a single piece of gauze and bite down.
- Concerns – Feel free to call our office anytime 219 663-2576. If after hours our answering service will be able to assist you.
Only the most gentle tooth extractions.
When conventional restorative methods are unable to save a tooth, an extraction may be required. Today tooth removal is far less painful than ever before due to highly effective anesthetics and the fifty-plus years of cumulative experience of Dr. Van Buskirk and Dr. Krischke. In many cases, a patient experiences little or no discomfort and only minimal bleeding. Our staff will make sure you’re cared for in a gentle manor, ensuring your comfort throughout the procedure.