Many people worry about their teeth without giving their gums a second thought. Yet gum disease (periodontal disease) is a bigger problem for many adults than tooth decay. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, half of American adults have some form of it. Some studies have linked gum disease to medical issues such as diabetes, heart disease, and low birth weight in babies. For these reasons, we take gum disease treatment in Crown Point seriously.Gum Disease Treatment at VB&K DDS, LLC Read Transcript
Most of the periodontal treatments done here, at this office, which would include root planing and scaling and pocket depth measurements, are all handled by the hygienist. The hygienists here are extremely well-trained in periodontics. I should explain that some people come here to 'get their teeth cleaned.' Getting your teeth cleaned is not the same for everybody. People that have periodontal disease need a different type of cleaning. They might need to be anesthetized to have their teeth cleaned properly, and we do that. We even have hygienists, that have gone to school, learn how to give shots. We can make it comfortable, but the periodontal work that's done here is all done by the hygienists.
Our treatment will:
- Remove infection-causing bacteria from above and below your gumline
- Prevent gum disease from advancing from its early stage to a later and more damaging one
- Relieve unpleasant symptoms like bad breath and bleeding gums
- Lower your risk of health conditions associated with gum disease
We look for signs of gum disease during every dental exam. If we find any, we eliminate them with effective treatment. Let our dentists check your gums! Call Van Buskirk & Krischke DDS, LLC at 219-641-3422 to book an exam.
We Use Several Methods to Eliminate Gum Disease
If we detect gum disease, we’ll use a deep cleaning method called scaling and root planing that removes infection-causing bacteria and makes it less likely for bacteria to accumulate below your gumline. We may also apply Arestin®, a topical, time-released antibiotic that continues to fight bacteria after you leave our office. If necessary, we can also quickly and comfortably remove infected gum tissue with a high-tech laser.
We Treat Different Stages of Gum Disease
Gum disease happens when bacteria build up in your teeth and gums. Gum disease has two stages:
- Gingivitis – In this early stage, the main symptoms are tender gums that may bleed. There hasn’t yet been any lasting tissue or bone damage. A professional dental cleaning and good home care are usually enough to eliminate it at this stage.
- Periodontitis – If it advances, your gums pull away from your teeth, forming “pockets” where bacteria collect and worsen the gum infection. As your body tries to fight the infection, the connective tissue around your teeth begins to break down. When this happens, you’re in danger of losing teeth.
Call Van Buskirk & Krischke DDS, LLC at 219-641-3422 for gum disease treatment in Crown Point.