Many people worry about their teeth without giving their gums a second thought. Yet gum disease (periodontal disease) is a bigger problem for many adults than tooth decay. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, half of American adults have some form of it. Some studies have linked gum disease to medical issues such as diabetes, heart disease, and low birth weight in babies. For these reasons, we take gum disease treatment in Crown Point seriously.Improve your health and well being Read Transcript
Gum disease or periodontal disease is a bad thing. We see lots of patients that have varying degrees of that and we want to stop it from progressing. In the office here, that means regular cleanings. Usually every six months we like to see our patients. Some patients with more advanced gum problems, periodontal disease, we might see every three or four months. When you come into the office the first few times, if we see signs of periodontal disease or progressing periodontal disease, we're going to do something we call a deep clean, a scaling and root planing. That's something we'll do in the office and the hygienists take care of that, they do that, but it arrests that periodontal disease. At least that's the goal.
Having your teeth cleaned, having your mouth clear of periodontal disease is important to our overall general health as well. That plaque, that tartar underneath the gum line holds lots of bacteria and it gets into the bloodstream and bad things get into your body. If we get them out of there, it's going to just lead to overall better health. There's a lot of studies that show that getting that tartar off the teeth can actually help prevent certain problems, mainly with the heart. If you're looking to come into an office that you're going to get good care, that we're going to see you regularly, that we're going to monitor your gums, your overall dental health, we'll gladly see you.
Our treatment will:
- Remove infection-causing bacteria from above and below your gumline
- Prevent gum disease from advancing from its early stage to a later and more damaging one
- Relieve unpleasant symptoms like bad breath and bleeding gums
- Lower your risk of health conditions associated with gum disease
We look for signs of gum disease during every dental exam. If we find any, we eliminate them with effective treatment. Let our dentists check your gums! Call Van Buskirk & Krischke DDS, LLC at 219-641-3422 to book an exam.
We Use Several Methods to Eliminate Gum Disease
If we detect gum disease, we’ll use a deep cleaning method called scaling and root planing that removes infection-causing bacteria and makes it less likely for bacteria to accumulate below your gumline. We may also apply Arestin®, a topical, time-released antibiotic that continues to fight bacteria after you leave our office. If necessary, we can also quickly and comfortably remove infected gum tissue with a high-tech laser.
We Treat Different Stages of Gum Disease
Gum disease happens when bacteria build up in your teeth and gums. Gum disease has two stages:
- Gingivitis – In this early stage, the main symptoms are tender gums that may bleed. There hasn’t yet been any lasting tissue or bone damage. A professional dental cleaning and good home care are usually enough to eliminate it at this stage.
- Periodontitis – If it advances, your gums pull away from your teeth, forming “pockets” where bacteria collect and worsen the gum infection. As your body tries to fight the infection, the connective tissue around your teeth begins to break down. When this happens, you’re in danger of losing teeth.
Call Van Buskirk & Krischke DDS, LLC at 219-641-3422 for gum disease treatment in Crown Point.